Recipe by CrazyBoutCooking
This is an adaptation of Rachael Ray's recipe. I serve with salad and Italian Cheese Twists #145977.
Top Review by minneapplegirl
I don't know if I can give this an honest review because I didn't use Italian sausage, but all ground beef. I also used cottage cheese mixed with a little cream cheese instead of ricotta because it's what I had on hand. This tasted good still...but I think it would have been better if the sausage had been used.
- 1⁄2 lb bulk Italian sausage
- 1⁄2 lb ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, grated
- 3 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 (28 ounce) canroasted tomatoes, crushed
- 1 cup tomato sauce (I use Prego or Classico)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon basil, dried
- 1 lb campanelle pasta (any shape will work, but this provides a nice presentation)
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1 cup part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown sausage and beef until cooked through, breaking it up as it cooks. Drain off any fat.
- Add onion, carrot and garlic. Cook until vegetables are soft.
- Add chicken stock and deglaze pan. Then add crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce, bay leaf and basil. Add salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil then turn down and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Cook pasta as directed in salted water until just al dente.(about 8 minutes) Drain. Spread pasta into a 9x13" pan.
- Remove bay leaf from sauce and stir in parsley. Combine sauce with pasta.
- Drop spoonfuls of ricotta into pasta and stir until combined. Sprinkle with cheeses.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes at 350 degrees until cheese is browned and sauce in bubbley.