1/1 Photo of Awesome Ice Cream Sandwich "cake"
1 hr 20 mins
I made this for my 2 year old's birthday! It was so much fun to present, easy to make, and a wonderful alternative to the traditional cake and ice cream! Hope you all enjoy it as much as we did!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup butter (room temp)
- 1/3 cup organic yogurt (I actually use Trader Joe's "vanana"-vanillan and banana, but...vanilla would be great, too)
- 3 -4 semi-sweet chocolate baking squares, melted (milk or dark would be great alternatives to try)
- 1 cup organic sugar
- 1 cup organic brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2-3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 cups chocolate chips
- 1 pint mint chocolate chip ice cream (I use the super premium from Trader Joe's)
- 2Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 3In large mixing bowl, combine butter, yogurt, melted chocolate and both sugars.
- 4Add in eggs, and mix until well blended.
- 5Add salt and baking soda to the wet mixture, and stir together.
- 6Begin to add in the flour, doing a cup at a time until both cups are well incorporated.
- 7Poor in chocolate chips and stir into the dough.
- 8Using a non-stick 8" spring-form pan, line the bottom with parchment paper. (Place the pan on top of the paper, draw a circle around the outer base, and cut out to fit exactly).
- 9Drop in (by spoon-fulls) 1/2 or less of the cookie dough, and, with your hands, press down to make an even layer at the bottom of the pan.
- 10Put in oven for 25-30 minutes (depending on your oven's temp), and bring out to cool, once at desired doneness.
- 11Once cooled, remove giant cookie from pan, wrap in plastic wrap (to prevent dryness).
- 12Repeat above directions and make 1 more giant cookie.
- 13Once second cookie comes out to cool, place ice cream on counter to soften a little.
- 14Leaving the cooled cookie in the spring-form pan, empty entire pint of ice cream into pan on top of the cookie.
- 15Spread ice cream evenly over cookie.
- 16Unwrap first cookie, and place it on top of the ice cream (I do it face down, so that the top is very flat and even. It makes for easier decorating).
- 17Push cookie down until everything is compacted and firm, cover with plastic wrap, and place back in the freezer.
- 18Now -- to DECORATE this cake -- the possibilities are endless. You can use powdered sugar to dust the top then drizzle melted chocolate over that, or check out kittencal's great recipe for frosting in my "baking treats" cookbook for some real fun! Also and idea -- add shaved chocolate to the sides. I just left mine plain, but it would add a bit of sophistication, I think.
- 19Hope you all enjoy!
Browse Our Top Frozen Desserts Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Frozen Desserts Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Awesome Ice Cream Sandwich "cake"
Serving Size: 1 (125 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 584.0
- Calories from Fat 184
- Total Fat 20.5 g
- Saturated Fat 11.8 g
- Cholesterol 69.4 mg
- Sodium 382.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 100.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.1 g
- Sugars 75.3 g
- Protein 7.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
mint chocolate chip ice cream