I've made black bean soup a few different times, each time tweaking it to adjust to my taste. This is really good and is really good for you!
- 3 (15 ounce) cans black beans (2 drained and rinsed)
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
- 1 1⁄2 cups broth (I use chicken, but you can use any kind)
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 (10 ounce) can rotel, tomatoes and chilies
- 1 (10 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried cilantro (or fresh-I recommend 1/4 cup)
- sour cream (optional)
- tortilla chips (optional)
- Place onion, water, broth and cumin in a stock pot and bring to a boil. Reduce to medium heat.
- When onions are soft, place beans and rotel in the stock pot. Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Blend with a hand blender. ( I don't like thin soup, so I only do this for 20-30 seconds)
- Add diced tomatoes and cilantro. Simmer for 10-15 more minutes.
- Serve topped with a bit of sour cream and crushed tortilla chips.