Prep 30 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is great for large groups. Has an absolutely wonderful taste and easy to make. Feeds a large family easily.
- 1⁄2 lb butter (1/4 lb optional)
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 quarts milk
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 cans cream of mushroom soup
- 3 cooked chicken breasts
- 1 can sliced mushrooms
- pineapple tidbits
- chopped green onion
- grated cheddar cheese
- slivered almonds
- chow mein noodles
- cooked rice
- Cook chicken and cut into bite size pieces.
- Melt butter in large pan.
- Add flour, salt and milk.
- Stir well.
- Add 2 cans of Cream of Mushroom soup, can of mushrooms and chicken.
- Cook rice with rice cooker, amount for number of people to feed.
- Layer on plate: Rice, Chow mein noodles, Soup mixture, Pineapple, Cheese, Celery, Green onions, Coconut, Almonds, and Soy sauce.
- Use toppings to suit your tastes.
Simplify by using a can of cream of mushroom soup and dilute with milk until you like the consistency for a gravy. Add chicken chunks and warm. Other toppings we like are peas, bacon, hard boiled eggs. Reserve the extras for a salad tomorrow.
Been using similar recipe for years. Have been asked to make it (with helpers) for teachers' dinner on parent teacher night. I add a sprinkle of garlic powder while mixing in milk (or water) and often use a 12.5 oz. can of chicken (from Costco) and use its juice as part of the bouillon. So quick when I'm tired and we need nutritious dinner. Picky eaters love the sauce over rice and can add their choice of pineapple, raisins, chopped tomato, chopped red or orange bell pepper, coconut, grated cheddar, chow mien noodles, or just eat it the boring. This is a wonderful meal for a sick person who needs soft, gentle, nutritious food :D
This recipe was great! I made a roux with butter and flour,then added soup and slowly added the milk. No lumps! I made it for a party and it was a hit.