Recipe by WI Cheesehead
This is out of the Cooking Free book by Carol Fenster. All the recipes I've tried out of her book have turned out great, especially the bread ones. For the gluten free flour, please use Gluten Free Flour Blend. This was so good, I had 4 large pieces myself (even though I don't need gluten free). See the end of the recipe for optional topping ingredients.
Top Review by jude503
I wanted to up the protein and fiber so I took liberties with the flour blend (used 1/2 c each brown rice and garbanzo flour, and 1/4 c each mung bean flour and ground flax). It didn't rise too much after an hour but still turned out light and airy on the inside with a crispy crust. Absolutely delicious. Thanks!
- 177.44 ml water (110 )
- 4.92 ml sugar or 4.92 ml honey
- 2 large eggs or 118.29 ml soft silken tofu
- 29.58 ml olive oil
- 2.46 ml vinegar
- 7.39 ml active dry yeast
- 354.88 ml gluten-free flour (see Gluten Free Flour Blend)
- 4.92 ml unflavord gelatin powder
- 9.85 ml xanthan gum or 9.85 ml guar gum
- 4.92 ml dried rosemary
- 2.46 ml onion powder
- 3.69 ml salt
- 6.16 ml italian seasoning
- 1.23 ml salt
- 14.79 ml olive oil
- 14.79 ml grated parmesan cheese, for garnish (cow, rice or soy)
Directions See How It's Made
- In medium mixer bowl using regular beaters, combine warm water, sugar, eggs, oil and vinegar until smooth.
- Add yeast, flours, gelatin, xanthan gum, rosemary, onion powder and salt.
- Beat for 2 minutes; dough will be soft and sticky.
- Grease 11x7-inch nonstick baking pan (I used glass dish). Transfer dough to pan, cover with foil, and let rise in warm place for 30 minutes, or until dough is level with top of pan (this took quite a bit longer for me).
- Preheat oven to 400°F Sprinkle focaccia with topping ingredients (except for Parmesan cheese). Bake for 20-25 minutes, until golden brown.
- Sprinkle Parmesan cheese on top, cut and serve.
- Optional Toppings:.
- Herb Topping: Combine 1/2 tsp EACH dried rosemary, sage and thyme; 1/4 tsp black pepper; and 2 T grated Parmesan cheese.
- Sun-dried Tomato & Olive Topping: Saute 1/4 C minced sun-dried tomatoes, 1/4 C sliced black olives, and 1/4 C chopped onion in 1 tsp olive oil.
- Pesto Topping: Puree in food processor just until smooth, leaving a bit of texture: 1 C fresh basil leaves, 1 garlic clove, 1/2 C pine nuts. With motor running, slowly add 1/4 C olive oil through feed tube. Add 1/4 C grated Parmesan cheese and dash of black pepper.
- Caramelized Onion Topping: Sprinkle focaccia dough with 1 to 2 teaspoons dried oregano, thyme, or herb of choice. Then top with 2 C of chopped, sauteed onions that have been tossed with 1 T olive oil. Bake as directed.