1 hr 5 mins
WI Cheesehead's Note:
This is out of the Cooking Free book by Carol Fenster. All the recipes I've tried out of her book have turned out great, especially the bread ones. For the gluten free flour, please use Gluten Free Flour Blend. This was so good, I had 4 large pieces myself (even though I don't need gluten free). See the end of the recipe for optional topping ingredients.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3/4 cup water (110 )
- 1 teaspoon sugar or 1 teaspoon honey
- 2 large eggs or 1/2 cup soft silken tofu
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1 1/2 cups gluten-free flour (see Gluten Free Flour Blend)
- 1 teaspoon unflavord gelatin powder
- 2 teaspoons xanthan gum or 2 teaspoons guar gum
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1In medium mixer bowl using regular beaters, combine warm water, sugar, eggs, oil and vinegar until smooth.
- 2Add yeast, flours, gelatin, xanthan gum, rosemary, onion powder and salt.
- 3Beat for 2 minutes; dough will be soft and sticky.
- 4Grease 11x7-inch nonstick baking pan (I used glass dish). Transfer dough to pan, cover with foil, and let rise in warm place for 30 minutes, or until dough is level with top of pan (this took quite a bit longer for me).
- 5Preheat oven to 400°F Sprinkle focaccia with topping ingredients (except for Parmesan cheese). Bake for 20-25 minutes, until golden brown.
- 6Sprinkle Parmesan cheese on top, cut and serve.
- 7Optional Toppings:.
- 8Herb Topping: Combine 1/2 tsp EACH dried rosemary, sage and thyme; 1/4 tsp black pepper; and 2 T grated Parmesan cheese.
- 9Sun-dried Tomato & Olive Topping: Saute 1/4 C minced sun-dried tomatoes, 1/4 C sliced black olives, and 1/4 C chopped onion in 1 tsp olive oil.
- 10Pesto Topping: Puree in food processor just until smooth, leaving a bit of texture: 1 C fresh basil leaves, 1 garlic clove, 1/2 C pine nuts. With motor running, slowly add 1/4 C olive oil through feed tube. Add 1/4 C grated Parmesan cheese and dash of black pepper.
- 11Caramelized Onion Topping: Sprinkle focaccia dough with 1 to 2 teaspoons dried oregano, thyme, or herb of choice. Then top with 2 C of chopped, sauteed onions that have been tossed with 1 T olive oil. Bake as directed.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Awesome Gluten Free Focaccia Bread!
Serving Size: 1 (34 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 57.6
- Calories from Fat 47
- Total Fat 5.2 g
- Saturated Fat 0.9 g
- Cholesterol 42.7 mg
- Sodium 255.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 0.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.1 g
- Sugars 0.5 g
- Protein 1.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: