Prep 6 mins
Cook 40 mins
I combined the best aspects of different recipes I've tried, and this outshines them all. With a french bread kind of flavor and dense chewiness, like sourdough, this bread would be great for just about anything. I even used the dough to make pizza crust for my father-in-law, he just about cried.
- 1 1⁄4 cups cornstarch
- 1⁄2 cup potato starch
- 1⁄2 cup sorghum flour
- 1⁄4 cup flax seed meal
- 2 teaspoons xanthan gum
- 2 tablespoons psyllium husks (powder)
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons instant yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs (or egg substitute)
- 2 egg whites
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons oil (I used veggie oil)
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 teaspoons vinegar (I used apple cider)
- Combine ALL dry ingredients.
- In the mixer, combine wet ingredients,.
- Add the dry ingredients.
- Scrape the sides, and mix on medium for 4-5 minutes.
- Pour into 9x5 pan, using oiled fingers, smooth out top of dough.
- Let rise (took about 80 minutes). I let it rise in a turned off oven.
- Bake at 350F for about 40 minutes.
- Remove from pan, cool, and slice. (I didn't wait for it to cool and it turned out fine).
I made this bread for my daughter, who is sensitive to gluten as well as rice and tapioca. This is the first bread she's had in over a year, and she loved it. The dough is wet (more of a batter), but it rises well (to more than double its size on my oven's bread proofing setting). It bakes into a soft loaf with a firm, but not hard, crust. The taste and texture is fantastic for a gluten free bread, not dense or crumbly. It slices well with a machine (probably with a knife as well). I made my loaf using regular psyllium husk, not the powder. I'd highly recommend trying this.
Did not have any success with this at all. After putting the dough in the tin and putting it somewhere warm, it just sat there. It stayed just sat there. My final loaf came out as a solid block not even good enough to use as breadcrumbs. Maybe I went wrong somewhere. Very dissapointed.
By far, the best GF bread I have ever made. Made my Celiac daughter a grilled cheese sandwich and she was absolutely thrilled!