1/5 Photos of Awesome Gluten Free Apple Pie With Crumble Topping
1 hr 15 mins
Are you a Celiac? Do you crave that apple pie your grandma used to make? Well, here it is--a big thick apple pie with a crumbly top and flakey crust! You won't believe that it is really gluten free and the whole family will enjoy it! Serve with a scoop of Blue Bell Vanilla Bean Ice Cream!
My Private Note
pie (wi ...
Units: US | Metric
Pastry Crust Makes Two Crusts
- 1 1/2 cups gluten-free flour (Bob's Red Mills All Purpose Gluten Free Flour, Avail at Kroger & online)
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum (Bob's Red Mills)
- 8 tablespoons butter, cut into pieces
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon gluten-free vanilla extract (Available online at the Gluten Free Pantry)
- 7 medium apples, peeled, cored and very thinly sliced. Use mildly sweet to tart very crisp apple (such as Granny Smith, Braeburn, Cortlands)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1***Pastry Crust Instructions***.
- 2In a mixing bowl stir together the flour, xanthan gum and cornstarch.
- 3Then add the sugar, butter, egg and vanilla and mix until combined.
- 4Remove dough from bowl and knead and fold on a surface dusted with GF flour until well well combined.
- 5Divide into two pieces and wrap in plastic wrap, place one in the refrigerator to chill and place the other in the freezer for later use.
- 6--Go ahead and make Apple Filling while the Pastry Crust is chilling.
- 8After approx 20 minutes, remove dough from refrigerator and roll into a ball.
- 9Using a rolling pin, roll the dough out on a lightly GF floured surface until it is the thickness of a normal pie crust.
- 10Place crust in a 9 inch glass pie dish that is lightly sprayed with non stick spray.
- 11Using a fork poke a bunch of holes in the sides and bottom of the crust.
- 12***Apple Filling Instructions***.
- 13In a large bowl mix apples, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt.
- 14Set aside and let the juices mix.
- 15***Crumble Topping Instructions***.
- 16In small bowl mix together brown sugar, GF flour and nutmeg.
- 17Next mix in the chilled butter and cut it in with a fork or other tool until you have a course crumbly mixture.
- 18***Assembling your Pie***.
- 19Preheat oven to 400°F.
- 20Spoon apples into your pie crust, mounding in the middle and pouring the sugary juices over top.
- 21Sprinkle your Crumble Topping all over the top (use it all).
- 22Use tin foil to cover edges of crust as it will burn easily.
- 23Bake for approximately 35 minutes, topping will be lightly browned and filling will be bubbly.
- 24Let cool for at least an hour before serving.
Browse Our Top Pie Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Awesome Gluten Free Apple Pie With Crumble Topping
Serving Size: 1 (241 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 458.6
- Calories from Fat 181
- Total Fat 20.1 g
- Saturated Fat 12.4 g
- Cholesterol 74.1 mg
- Sodium 258.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 72.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.0 g
- Sugars 61.6 g
- Protein 1.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
gluten-free vanilla extract