Recipe by Pugs-N-Apps
Are you a Celiac? Do you crave that apple pie your grandma used to make? Well, here it is--a big thick apple pie with a crumbly top and flakey crust! You won't believe that it is really gluten free and the whole family will enjoy it! Serve with a scoop of Blue Bell Vanilla Bean Ice Cream!
Top Review by maria_raverbaby
i tried this recipe but with a strawberry and rasberry filling, it was great. my boyfriend is coeliac and he misses cakes and pastries so much, this made his day, everyone who tried it enjoyed it and i even made gluten free jam tarts with the pastry that was left over!..... couldnt help notice that you missed out the xanthan gum on your pastry directions, but included it in ingrediants, great recipe tho and will def use again thanx!!!!
Pastry Crust Makes Two Crusts
- 354.88 ml gluten-free flour (Bob's Red Mills All Purpose Gluten Free Flour, Avail at Kroger & online)
- 78.07 ml cornstarch
- 118.29 ml sugar
- 4.92 ml xanthan gum (Bob's Red Mills)
- 118.32 ml butter, cut into pieces
- 1 large egg
- 14.79 ml gluten-free vanilla extract (Available online at the Gluten Free Pantry)
- 7 medium apples, peeled, cored and very thinly sliced. Use mildly sweet to tart very crisp apple (such as Granny Smith, Braeburn, Cortlands)
- 118.29 ml sugar
- 4.92 ml ground cinnamon
- 1.23 ml ground nutmeg
- 1.23 ml salt
- 177.44 ml light brown sugar
- 177.44 ml gluten-free flour (See above)
- 2.46 ml ground nutmeg
- 78.07 ml butter, chilled & cut into small pieces
Directions See How It's Made
- ***Pastry Crust Instructions***.
- In a mixing bowl stir together the flour, xanthan gum and cornstarch.
- Then add the sugar, butter, egg and vanilla and mix until combined.
- Remove dough from bowl and knead and fold on a surface dusted with GF flour until well well combined.
- Divide into two pieces and wrap in plastic wrap, place one in the refrigerator to chill and place the other in the freezer for later use.
- --Go ahead and make Apple Filling while the Pastry Crust is chilling.
- After approx 20 minutes, remove dough from refrigerator and roll into a ball.
- Using a rolling pin, roll the dough out on a lightly GF floured surface until it is the thickness of a normal pie crust.
- Place crust in a 9 inch glass pie dish that is lightly sprayed with non stick spray.
- Using a fork poke a bunch of holes in the sides and bottom of the crust.
- ***Apple Filling Instructions***.
- In a large bowl mix apples, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt.
- Set aside and let the juices mix.
- ***Crumble Topping Instructions***.
- In small bowl mix together brown sugar, GF flour and nutmeg.
- Next mix in the chilled butter and cut it in with a fork or other tool until you have a course crumbly mixture.
- ***Assembling your Pie***.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Spoon apples into your pie crust, mounding in the middle and pouring the sugary juices over top.
- Sprinkle your Crumble Topping all over the top (use it all).
- Use tin foil to cover edges of crust as it will burn easily.
- Bake for approximately 35 minutes, topping will be lightly browned and filling will be bubbly.
- Let cool for at least an hour before serving.