Are you a Celiac? Do you crave that apple pie your grandma used to make? Well, here it is--a big thick apple pie with a crumbly top and flakey crust! You won't believe that it is really gluten free and the whole family will enjoy it! Serve with a scoop of Blue Bell Vanilla Bean Ice Cream!
Pastry Crust Makes Two Crusts
- 1 1⁄2 cups gluten-free flour (Bob's Red Mills All Purpose Gluten Free Flour, Avail at Kroger & online)
- 1⁄3 cup cornstarch
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum (Bob's Red Mills)
- 8 tablespoons butter, cut into pieces
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon gluten-free vanilla extract (Available online at the Gluten Free Pantry)
- 7 medium apples, peeled, cored and very thinly sliced. Use mildly sweet to tart very crisp apple (such as Granny Smith, Braeburn, Cortlands)
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup light brown sugar
- 3⁄4 cup gluten-free flour (See above)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄3 cup butter, chilled & cut into small pieces
- ***Pastry Crust Instructions***.
- In a mixing bowl stir together the flour, xanthan gum and cornstarch.
- Then add the sugar, butter, egg and vanilla and mix until combined.
- Remove dough from bowl and knead and fold on a surface dusted with GF flour until well well combined.
- Divide into two pieces and wrap in plastic wrap, place one in the refrigerator to chill and place the other in the freezer for later use.
- --Go ahead and make Apple Filling while the Pastry Crust is chilling.
- After approx 20 minutes, remove dough from refrigerator and roll into a ball.
- Using a rolling pin, roll the dough out on a lightly GF floured surface until it is the thickness of a normal pie crust.
- Place crust in a 9 inch glass pie dish that is lightly sprayed with non stick spray.
- Using a fork poke a bunch of holes in the sides and bottom of the crust.
- ***Apple Filling Instructions***.
- In a large bowl mix apples, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt.
- Set aside and let the juices mix.
- ***Crumble Topping Instructions***.
- In small bowl mix together brown sugar, GF flour and nutmeg.
- Next mix in the chilled butter and cut it in with a fork or other tool until you have a course crumbly mixture.
- ***Assembling your Pie***.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Spoon apples into your pie crust, mounding in the middle and pouring the sugary juices over top.
- Sprinkle your Crumble Topping all over the top (use it all).
- Use tin foil to cover edges of crust as it will burn easily.
- Bake for approximately 35 minutes, topping will be lightly browned and filling will be bubbly.
- Let cool for at least an hour before serving.