Recipe by Sue Gifford
This is a tasty easy hand-me-down recipe from my mom and I use it regularly. You can make it and eat it right away, no one ever complains about eating left-overs with this dish and it also freezes well for future eating. Enjoy!!
- 1 package Italian sausage (hot or mild depends on how you like it)
- 1 (28 ounce) cancrushed tomatoes
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 green pepper, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon basil
- 1 (4 ounce) can mushrooms (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Skin Italian sausage links, cut into pieces and roll into balls.
- Brown on all sides and drain.
- Brown the onion, garlic, green pepper and celery and add to meat.
- Stir in the can of crushed tomatoes and mushroom (optional), salt, pepper, oregano, fennel seed and basil.
- Simmer for 45 minutes- Serve over spaghetti with a salad and garlic bread.