Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is a tasty easy hand-me-down recipe from my mom and I use it regularly. You can make it and eat it right away, no one ever complains about eating left-overs with this dish and it also freezes well for future eating. Enjoy!!
- 1 package Italian sausage (hot or mild depends on how you like it)
- 1 (28 ounce) cancrushed tomatoes
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 green pepper, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon basil
- 1 (4 ounce) can mushrooms (optional)
- Skin Italian sausage links, cut into pieces and roll into balls.
- Brown on all sides and drain.
- Brown the onion, garlic, green pepper and celery and add to meat.
- Stir in the can of crushed tomatoes and mushroom (optional), salt, pepper, oregano, fennel seed and basil.
- Simmer for 45 minutes- Serve over spaghetti with a salad and garlic bread.
Easy & deilcious. I made my own sausage & just fried it ala ground meat without making meatballs. I did amp up the garlic.
pretty good, a little too tomato-y for my tastes but definitely easy and quick to make! thanks for the recipe!
This sauce went together very easily and the aroma of the meatballs simmering was driving us crazy, LOL. Instead of serving this over spaghetti, I made meatball sandwiches by using toasted hoagie rolls rubbed with fresh garlic cloves and then topped with the meatballs and sauce.