Recipe by emtpixie
A great Fall (or anytime!) recipe for an easy, convenient and mouth watering dinner. You will have a hard time not tearing into it while you smell it cooking! Warning: this feeds a crowd, it can easily be cut in half, or just make the whole thing and have awesome leftovers :)
Top Review by Mustang Sally 54269
This recipe worked for us but had to use some discretion on some of the ingredient measurements. It called for 3 T allspice & 1 1/2 ground ginger which seemed alittle extreme for 1 1/2 lb of chicken, especially if you sprinkle some on the thighs. I cut it back to under 1/2 of what was called for & I think it was better than if I'd added it all. I amended to cook in my electronic pressure cooker so I cut back the chicken broth abit.
- 3 lbs , boneless skiness chicken breasts or 3 lbs chicken thighs
- 2 lbs carrots
- 2 large yellow onions or 2 large white onions
- 3 inches piece fresh gingerroot
- 2 large green peppers
- 1 (20 ounce) can pineapple chunks
- 2 cups of low fat and low sodium chicken broth
- 5 tablespoons dark brown sugar, firmly packed
- 3 tablespoons allspice
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons ground ginger
- 5 tablespoons of texas pete hot sauce or 5 tablespoons Tabasco sauce
- 1⁄4 cup soy sauce
- 4 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup per person brown rice (I use Uncle Ben's Boil-In-Bag brown rice)
Directions See How It's Made
- I use Reynold's Slow Cooker Liners, so if you use them put one in your crockpot. I also use a 7 quart crockpot and have room to spare with this recipe.
- Slice carrots into 1 inch or so pieces and spread into bottom of crock pot.
- Chop onions coarsely and spread over carrots.
- Cut the green peppers into 1/2 inch pieces, cover and refrigerate for later.
- Peel the gingeroot (I find this to be easiest with a sharp paring knife) and chop finely. Sprinkle the gingeroot over the onions.
- Wash chicken and arrange over top of the vegetables in the crock pot, leaving a little space between pieces if you're able to so liquids can flow through.
- Pour chicken broth in a bowl. Add the brown sugar and stir well to dissolve.
- Next stir the allspice, ground ginger, hot sauce and soy sauce into the broth mixture. Stir well and pour evenly over the chicken in the crockpot.
- Sprinkle a little extra allspice and ground ginger over the chicken, if desired. I do this because it flavors the chicken well.
- Put the lid on the crockpot and cook on High for 6 hours or Low for 8 hours.
- Turn crock pot to High if it isn't already there and pull chicken out into a big bowl for now. Cover chicken to keep it hot. Put lid back on crockpot.
- About now I start the water for the rice, so if you're using boil in bag or minute rice get the water going now. If you're using other rice that cooks for a longer time start it well before now.
- Drain pineapple juice into a bowl and reserve.
- Stir pineapple chunks and green pepper into crockpot, replace lid.
- Stir cornstarch into pineapple juice until dissolved and slowly stir into the crockpot. Stir well, replace lid and continue to cook for 15 minutes. During this time finish getting the rice ready.
- Shred the chicken and stir into crockpot.
- Put 1 cup of rice into individual soup bowls and top with the sweet, sour and spicy chicken.