Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
I found this recipe in the Milwaukee Journal Sentinal food page in 2000. It is from Randy's Supper Club in Oconomowoc Wisconsin and it was requested by someone who had tried it while at the restaurant. I usually just make half a batch for the two of us because it does make quite a bit. But it is easy to cut the recipe in half. Hope you enjoy it as much as we do.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 3 -4 carrots, chopped
- 2 cups flour
- 8 -10 cups chicken broth (I use chicken soup base and water)
- 2 (6 ounce) boxes long grain and wild rice blend (prepared according to directions, I have found that Uncle Ben's Long Grain & Wild Rice Original reci)
- 2 cups whole milk (or half & half)
- Prepare Uncle Bens rice mix a directed and set aside. Melt butter in a large pot, add vegetables and simmer until crisp tender. Reduce heat, add flour and cook another 5 minutes stirring constantly. Add broth and heat through, stirring constantly. Add cooked rice mixture and simmer 20 minutes. Add milk and heat through.
- Soup will thicken when refrigerated because of the rice. If necessary add a little milk to desired consistancy.