Recipe by Feed me Seymour
Well, here goes my first post!.. This is basically a mash-up of all the things I love about dressing but based on a chestnut dressing I found on food network. I've never been a fan of celery or carrots but in this recipe the carrots aren't overwhelming so I leave them in. I absolutely LOVE chestnuts and I think they complete this dressing beautifully. I've made this with breakfast, sweet Italian, and spicy sausage so use whatever you prefer but I love mine spicy!
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 medium onion, roughly chopped
- 1⁄2 bunch fresh sage
- 1 1⁄2 lbs loose hot sausage
- 1 lb roasted chestnuts (peeled and chopped)
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken stock
- 5 cups of cubed corn bread
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 1 large egg
- extra virgin olive oil
- freshly ground sea salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375F and butter a 9x11 baking dish.
- Puree the carrot, onion, and sage in a food processor until you have a fine pulp.
- Brown the sausage in a large skillet with a little extra virgin olive oil over medium heat.
- Once the meat has browned nicely and the fat has rendered, remove with a slotted spoon and place in a large mixing bowl.
- Add the vegetable pulp to the skillet and saute until most of the moisture has evaporated.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the cooked vegetables to the mixing bowl along with the sausage, cornbread, and roasted chestnuts.
- In a separate bowl mix the chicken stock, cream, and egg.
- Add this mixture to the large mixing bowl, season with more salt and pepper and fold everything together.
- Pour into the baking dish and bake for 30-35 minutes, or until the dressing is golden brown. (Tent with foil if it browns too early).