Recipe by Marie
The sauce in this dish is unbelievably delicious! If desired, mushrooms or artichokes can be omitted. This will become one of your family's favorite chicken dishes.
Top Review by CaribbeanQueen
Tried this recipe as written ~ overall, very good. Although, extremely rich! I will make this again but with a couple of modifications. I will eliminate the artichoke hearts; they were lost in the sauce. The mushrooms are a MUST. They add a great flavor. I will try using whole milk instead of the half-and-half. The sauce was a bit too heavy for our taste. Because the DH and I really enjoy spicy food, I will add a touch of cayenne to the sauce to give it some zip. Thanks for the recipe, Marie!
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 (8 ounce) package button mushrooms, chopped
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 4 bone-in skinless chicken breast halves
- 1 (10 ounce) can artichoke hearts, drained and sliced
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups half-and-half
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 325°.
- Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Saute mushrooms in butter until tender.
- Remove from the skillet and set aside.
- Place the chicken in the skillet and pour the broth over it.
- Cover and simmer over medium heat for 20 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Reserve 1/2 cup of the broth from the pan and save remaining broth for other uses.
- Remove the chicken to a 9x13" baking dish and top with artichokes.
- Melt the remaining 1/2 cup of butter in a skillet over medium heat and whisk in flour until smooth.
- Gradually stir in the 1/2 cup of reserved broth and half and half.
- Cook, stirring constantly until thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and stir in the Parmesan cheese, rosemary, salt and pepper.
- Pour sauce over the chicken in the baking dish.
- Place sauteed mushrooms on the top.
- Bake uncovered for 30 minutes in the preheated oven.
- Let stand for a few minutes before serving to let the sauce thicken.