Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a vegetarian recipe I've come up with, simply because I usually don't have the salt pork or hamhock traditionally included on hand. It's still got plenty of flavor!
- Wash greens in a colander.
- Chop into bite-sized pieces.
- Throw all ingredients into a large pot and cover.
- Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally, the reduce heat and simmer.
- Greens are done when they have shrunk down and are cooked through, usually about a half hour, but you can let it simmer much longer.
- Serve with its liquid.
I'm the kind of girl whose greens experience was just spinach, but now that I'm living in the Deep South other types of greens like collard, turnip and mustard are very common. Love the "hammy/bacony" recipes, but love this veggie option to help me get my dark greens w/o the fat. Can use salsa, canned tomatoes (regular or italian style) or Rotels for a hotter variation. Enjoy!
Awesome for sure! I used the tomato instead of salsa. Very very good!