Recipe by Melanie Hein
I found this recipe years ago and tweaked it just a little. My family demands this at every get together.
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups milk
- 3 egg yolks, slightly beaten
- 1 1⁄2 cups coconut
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- graham cracker crust
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine sugar, corn starch and salt in saucepan. Stir in milk until smooth. Bring mixture to boil and stir constantly until thickened.
- Remove from heat and stir one cup mixture into egg yolks. Stir yolk mixture into filling and return to boil. Boil two minutes stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat and stir in butter, vanilla, and coconut. Mix well, then pour into crust and cool 15 minutes. Cover and refrigerate.
- When ready to serve, top with sweetened whipped cream and toasted coconut.
- To toast coconut, spread thin layer on baking sheet and bake in 350 degree oven, stirring often, until lightly toasted.