This cake is absolutely delicious. It is super moist. Instead of icing, it is drizzled with a coconut glaze. This cake never lasts more than a day.
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup oil
- 4 eggs
- 2 tablespoons coconut extract
- 3 cups flour
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 1 cup slivered almonds
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup powdered sugar
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 tablespoon coconut extract
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 3⁄4 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons hot water
- 1⁄2 cup shredded coconut
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Toast Coconut:.
- Start by spreading coconut on a microwave-safe plate. Microwave the coconut in 30-second bursts, gently stirring to redistribute each time. When the coconut is as brown as you like – stop. It’s done. It took me 7 1/2 minutes to get to this point, but depends on the wattage of your microwave.
- Beat together sugar, oil, eggs, and coconut extract until well mixed.
- In a separate bowl, mix together buttermilk, baking powder, and baking soda.
- Beat together the buttermilk mixture into the sugar, oil, and egg mixture until well blended.
- Gradually beat the flour mixture into the wet mixture until well mixed.
- Fold in the coconut and almonds.
- Pour into a greased baking pan and bake for about 30-45 minutes or when a toothpick is inserted into the center comes out clean. (I used a greased bundt pan).
- Combine drizzle ingredients in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat until all the ingredients are incorporated.
- Once the bread comes out of the oven, poke holes all over the bread and immediately pour drizzle over the bread and let soak inches.
- Once the cake has cooled, pour on the glaze and sprinkle with toasted coconut.