Recipe by Pam H
This is the best recipe I've tried so far. Moist and chewy and they disappear in the blink of an eye!
Top Review by mtodras
I have been using this recipe for years. I don't use the butter flavored stuff just plain crisco. This year I used silicone bake sheets and it gave the cookies a uniform size with a slight crispy bottom. Also sprinkle the cookies with salt when I take them out of the oven. I have tried many recipes and this remains the best!!!!
- 3⁄4 cup butter flavor shortening
- 1 1⁄4 cups firmly packed light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1 egg
- 1 3⁄4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 cups chocolate chips
- 1 cup chopped nuts (*) (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees (350 if using convection).
- Combine shortening, brown sugar, milk, and vanilla in large bowl.
- Beat at medium speed until well blended.
- Beat egg into mixture.
- Combine flour, salt, and baking soda.
- Mix into creamed mixture just until blended.
- Add chocolate chips and nuts and mix.
- Drop rounded teaspoons of dough on ungreased baking sheet about 3 inches apart (I prefer to use a baking stone).
- Bake 8-10 minutes for chewy, 11-13 minutes for crisp cookies.
- Cool 2 minutes on baking sheet then transfer to foil to cool completely.
- *If nuts are used decrease chips to 1 cup.