Prep 45 mins
Cook 30 mins
So I have developed an intolerance for onions. Major bummer for a foodie! But this chili tastes so good I don't miss the onions.
- 3 jalapeno peppers
- 2 red bell peppers
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 2 (15 1/2 ounce) cans kidney beans, drained
- 4 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 (10 ounce) can Ro-Tel tomatoes
- 3 cups water
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground oregano
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 bay leaf
- coarse salt, to taste
- fresh ground pepper, to taste
- Roast red bell peppers and jalapenos: Turn on your broiler. Lower the rack so the peppers will be about 6 inches below your heat source. Spray the peppers with cooking spray or rub them with olive oil and place on broiler pan. Put them under the broiler and char the outside a bit, turning them every few minutes. When they look done to you, remove them from the oven and put them in a bowl with a lid for at least 5 minutes.
- Before handling the jalapenos, you may want to put gloves on to protect your skin from their spicy oil. Cut the tops off your jalapenos. Slice them lengthwise and remove the seeds and membranes. Chop jalapenos. Remove the skin and seeds from the bell peppers. Chop the peppers and set them aside to add to your chili pot later.
- Brown the ground beef. Remove the excess oil. Add the chopped jalapenos and all other ingredients. Stir and taste. Add salt, pepper, or other seasonings if you wish. Simmer on low with a lid on your pot until the flavors are blended well; 20-30 minutes.
My husband can't tolerate onions either, so this recipe is great! I made this for Super Bowl Sunday yesterday. I also added one can of rinsed, drained black beans. I also simmered it covered on very low for about an hour, then uncovered it and let it simmer another hour. For toppings, I put out, sour cream, shredded Mexican blend cheese, and chopped green onions. You could also put out chopped tomatoes, cilantro, and lime wedges. I made cornbread to go with it. Everybody loved the chili. Thanks for the great recipe!