Prep 45 mins
Cook 35 mins
A little time consuming, but well worth it!
- 1 lb boneless chicken breast
- 1 3⁄4 cups chicken broth
- 2 3⁄4 cups flour
- salt and pepper
- 6 ounces chilled butter
- 1⁄3 cup shortening
- 3 carrots
- 1⁄2 lb mushroom
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 cup light cream
- 2 green onions
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1 egg
- Cook chicken in 1/2 cup broth until cooked.About 5 minutes. Reserve broth. Cool chicken.
- Combine 2-1/2 cup flour, 3/4 teaspoons salt, 1/4 lb. butter and shortening until mix resembles coarse meal.
- Toss 7-8 tablespoons cold water a tablespoons at a time. When mix begins to clump press into a ball, wrap and refrigerate.
- Cut carrots in half length wise then chop. Bring water to boil with carrots. Cook until tender(about 5 min.)drain. Slice mushrooms.
- In a large pan, add remaining.butter. Saute mushrooms until tender. Add 1 teaspoons salt and 1/2 teaspoons thyme. Cook about 5 minute.
- Stir in remaining 1/4 cup flour and cook 1 minute Gradually stir in reserved broth. Add remaining 1-1/4 cup broth and cream. Bring to a boil and cook 1 minute stirring constantly.Remove from heat, pour off 1-1/2 cup reserve. Chop green onions. Stir in remaining ingredients.
- Heat oven to 425 deg. Beat egg with 1 tablespoons water. Divide dough into 12 pieces. Roll to fit 5" pans. Fill with chicken mixture. Roll remaining 6 balls into top pieces. Flute edges. Cut vents in top.
- Brush with egg mixture. put pies on baking sheet and bake at 450 deg. for 35 minute.
- Serve pies with reserved cream sauce.