Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Home style chicken noodle soup that really makes a wonderful side or meal, it cures what ails you. If you like lots of noodles use a whole pound of them. Serve hot with your favorite salad and bread. This freezes or doubles well.
- 1 gallon water
- 1 whole chicken, cut into pieces
- 1 large onion, peeled and halved
- 3 bay leaves
- 10 whole black peppercorns
- 2⁄3 bunch celery, leaves reserved
- 1 lb carrot
- 3 tablespoons chopped lemongrass (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup chicken soup base
- 1 lb carrot, peeled and sliced
- 1⁄3 bunch celery, chopped and leaves reserved
- 1 (8 ounce) packagedry egg noodles
- Place chicken and water In a large pot over High heat and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer, skimming fat as needed, 30 minutes.
- Place whole, peeled onion, bay leaves, peppercorns, whole celery, whole carrots and lemon grass in the pot and simmer, covered 1 hour.
- Strain broth and reserve chicken. When chicken is cool enough to handle, remove skin and cut meat into bite-size pieces.
- Return strained stock to pot over high heat, and stir in chicken base, chopped celery and chopped carrots. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover and simmer 20 minutes, or until carrots are tender.
- Chop celery leaves and stir into pot with the noodles. Simmer until noodles are cooked, about 10 minutes more. Stir in chicken and heat through.