Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a delicious pasta dish that I have make quite often, this will also work well using penne --- cooking time does not include cooking the pasta.
- 1 (500 g) package rigatoni pasta
- 1 lb lean ground beef (or 1/2 pd each of both) or 1 lb ground pork (or 1/2 pd each of both)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh minced garlic (or to taste)
- season salt and pepper (or use white salt)
- 2 (700 ml) jarsfavourite pasta sauce (or homemade is great)
- 2 cups ricotta cheese
- 4 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄4-1⁄3 cup parmesan cheese
- 2 eggs
- Set oven to 350°F.
- Grease a 13 x9-inch casserole dish.
- Cook the rigatoni until firm-tender (do not overcook as it will cook more when baked) toss with 2 tbsp oil to prevent drying out; set aside.
- Cook beef with onions, garlic, seasoned salt and pepper until beef is done and no longer pink; drain off fat.
- Stir in pasta sauce; simmer 20 minutes.
- In a bowl, combine ricotta cheese, 1 cup mozzarella cheese, Parmesan cheese and eggs.
- On the bottom of the casserole dish spread 1-1/2 cups meat sauce.
- Top with half each, the cooked rigatoni, ricotta cheese mixture and meat sauce.
- Repeat layer ending with meat sauce.
- Top with remaining cheese.
- Bake uncovered until hot and bubbly, about 30-35 minutes.
- Let stand for 15 minutes before serving.
- Note: canned sliced mushrooms may be added to meat sauce if desired.
This was excellent! And I loved that we had leftovers for the next day. I would definitely make this again.
This was good. Tastes like lasagna without all the work. Thanks for a tasty easy recipe!!
Really good, except next time - and there will be a next time - I'm going to make a smaller version. We're not big on leftovers here and this makes a lot! Thanks.