Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
Don't get me wrong...I love Starbucks Chai, but my addiction is not only filled with sugar, but also very expensive. Making this tea from scratch is easier than you might think and oh, how the spicy fragrances fill your kitchen. Delicious hot or iced.
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 6 whole green cardamom pods
- 6 whole cloves
- 1 inch piece gingerroot, peeled and sliced
- 4 black peppercorns
- 3 cups water
- 2 black tea bags or 1 tablespoon loose organic black tea
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1 cup low-fat milk or 1 cup whole milk
- Place the cinnamon stick, cardamom, cloves, ginger, peppercorns and water in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, then cover and reduce the heat to simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and allow the mixture to steep for 10 minutes. Return to a boil.
- Remove from heat, add the tea bags and let steep for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Strain the tea and return to the saucepan.
- Add brown sugar and milk while stirring over low heat for one minute.
- Serve immediately.
This was really good! I used loose Assam tea. I thought it needed a bit more sweetener & I missed the vanilla I usually use, so I added some vanilla sugar. Made for My 3 Chefs.