Recipe by Boopster
I love this recipe because it is so easy and it calls for hardly any ingredients, and I always have these ingredients in my pantry. This recipe came from a good friend's mother, who was always asked to bake the ham for get-togethers and family dinners. Now I get those requests. People who ordinarily aren't too fond of ham rave over this one. After I carve, I spoon a little of the glaze over the meat in the platter - yummmm!
Top Review by Irishcolleen
OMG!!! Until I tried this recipe, I wasn't wild about baked ham. Besides pizza, it would probably be one of the last things I'd really ever have a craving for. However, hams were on sale, and I remember my mom used to bake a ham, then use the remaining bone to put in a pot of red beans, which being from Louisiana, red beans and rice is a traditional weekly meal, and one of my favorites. I had a 9 lb. half ham, so I adjusted the recipe accordingly. The only addition I made was to put some ground cloves into the brown sugar/mustard paste, then right before it was done, I opened the foil, decorated it with pineapple and cherries, and returned it to the oven, uncovered, and under the broiler for about 5 minutes more, to try to caramelize it a little. Boopster, I will NEVER bake a ham any other way from now on! Because of your recipe, I love baked ham!! It was so moist and juicy, and just deeeeeeeeeelicious! Thank you very much for sharing! :)
- 15 lbs whole bone-in ham (I prefer Cooks SuperTrim brand)
- 1 lb brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup yellow mustard
- aluminum foil
- In a medium size mixing bowl, mix yellow mustard and brown sugar until you have a thick"paste".
- Take all wrappers off of ham and trim away excess fat.
- Line baking pan (I spray with Pam in case some of the brown sugar mixture escapes, clean up is easier) with Aluminum foil.
- Place ham on foil and spread brown sugar/mustard paste on top.
- Fold and seal foil.
- Do not open again until ham is done.
- Bake at 350° for 4 hours.
- Let set for about 1 hr then carve.
- One of the best tasting hams you will ever have!