Recipe by Southernmamato3
This is the recipe that is requested most from friends and family. I am constantly making them for all the potlucks we are invited to, and have been told not to bother coming if I didnt show up with these beans! Simple and easy to prepare and double.
Top Review by TasteTester
This dish received a lot of compliments when I brought it to a cookout last weekend. People said they liked that it wasn't overpoweringly sweet, as some other bean casseroles can be, and they also commented that they loved the taste and crunchiness of the fried onion topping. And since it has hamburger in it, I could also use it as a main dish, just adding some corn or other veggie to round out the meal. Thanks for sharing your recipe -- we loved it as much as your friends and family do!
- 3 (14 ounce) cans pork and beans (I use Van Camps)
- 1 lb ground beef, browned and drained
- 1 (6 ounce) can French's French fried onions, divided
- 1 cup catsup
- 2⁄3 cup dark brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup prepared mustard
- 1 tablespoon ground mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 -3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In very large mixing bowl combine beans, beef, HALF the can of onions, and remaining ingredients.
- Pour into 9x13 pan.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes until desired consistancy.
- Top with remaining onions and bake 5-10 minutes more until nicely browned.