Recipe by Mirj
I got this recipe from FabulousFoods.com. It makes the most amazing smelling muffins, and is great as a gift for the hostess who has everything.
Top Review by twosdoll
I just put the dry ingredients together as an informal gift for a friend, and I discovered that the jar size needs to be large. There is just a little extra mix left over after filling a quart jar. I had some smaller disposable containers that I put the rest in.
- 2 cups shortening
- 4 cups sugar
- 7 cups flour
- 4 teaspoons salt
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons nutmeg
To Make the Applesauce Loaf
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup applesauce
- 1⁄2 cup chopped nuts
Directions See How It's Made
- To Make the Master Mix------------.
- In a very large bowl combine all dry ingredients and mix together well with a fork or whisk.
- Cut in shortening with a pastry blender, or use two butter knives, scissor style.
- A wire whisk also works well and is easier on the arm muscles than knives are.
- When shortening is completely cut in, the mixture will have a crumbly texture.
- Be sure to turn the mixture so that entire batch is mixed completely.
- Store in a tightly covered container for up to 4 months.
- Each batch of mix makes enough for 4 loaves or approximately 13 1/2 cups.
- Feel free to double this recipe if your family enjoys this treat as much as mine, or if you need lots of gifts, but you will need two large mixing bowls to do so.
- To Make an Awesome Applesauce Loaf------------.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease and flour (do not use cooking spray) a loaf pan.
- In a large bowl, mix together 3 1/3 cups of master mix with 2 eggs and 1 cup applesauce.
- Mix together thoroughly.
- Add 1/2 cup nuts if desired and mix thoroughly.
- Pour into loaf pan and bake for 40-50 minutes, or until top crests and loaf is a dark golden brown.
- To Make Awesome Applesauce Muffins------------.
- Grease and flour muffin tins, or line them with paper muffin cups.
- Fill tins 3/4 full.
- Bake at 350° F for 20-30 minutes or until light golden brown.
- To Give the Mix as a Gift------------.
- This mix makes a wonderful gif for neighbors, family and friends.
- To make the presentation you see in the photo at right, use an ordinary jelly jar, washed and dried, a dried apple, two short cinnamon sticks, some raffia, and a bit of twisted paper to decorate the lid.
- Untwist the twisted paper and hot glue to the lid, trim excess.
- Glue cinnamon sticks together, crossing each other slightly, and tie with a bit of raffia.
- Glue sticks to the apple and glue the apple to the lid.
- Using a computer print program such as Print Artist or Print Shop Deluxe, create a fun label for your gift jar with instructions for baking the loaves or muffins.
- Put 1/2 cup of chopped pecans in a sandwich bag and tie with raffia.
- Print out the Applesauce Loaf recipe or the master mix recipe on an index card and attach a small raffia bow to the upper left hand corner.