Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
A FAVORITE treat from childhood. My mother always liked to prepare these delicious goodies for her three daughters. We could not wait until they were cool enough to eat. The cinnamon and nutmeg add to the flavor.
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1⁄2 cups apples, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 cups self rising flour
- vegetable oil
- confectioners' sugar (optional)
- sugar, and cinnamon mixture (optional)
- Blend sugar with beaten egg. Add milk and vanilla.
- Stir in apples. Mix cinnamon and nutmeg with flour. Lightly fold in flour mixture just until blended. Do not overstir.
- Drop by small spoonfuls into hot oil on low to medium heat. Fry until light brown on both sides.
- Place on paper towels.
- If desired, sprinkle with confectioners' sugar or a mixture of half sugar and half cinnamon while hot.
- Skin may be left on chopped apples.
We loved these! Just the right seasonings and sweetness with the powdered sugar! Wonderful fall smell and flavor. Thanks for sharing your mother's recipe.
I have had company here and I made these for a brunch. They were eaten in about 2 seconds, and everyone LOVED them! I made half with sugar and cinnamon and half with a brown sugar glaze on the top. Both were AWESOME!
I loved it, the recipe is very simple to use, it's easy on the wallet if you already have the oil needed.. I doubled the recipe, and ended up with about 32 of the fritters. I dished them out using #40 scoop, came out in almost perfect sized balls. I added banana, couldn't help it!