Recipe by Rhonda *J*
I especially like this recipe as it makes a 9x13 pan as opposed to a 9x9, which I find handy when I have some extra mouths to feed. I first made this instead of my usual smaller version, at Christmas when invited to my sisters for dinner,she already had pumpkin pie, so she asked for an apple crisp, everyone really enjoyed it, and the next time we were invited for dinner, guess what they wanted me to bring? ( original recipe did not call for lemon juice, but my other version does,so I add it out of habit I guess!)
Top Review by Sarah_Star
This is my favorite apple crisp recipe, but I had to modify it some. The thought of 1 whole cup of sugar for the fruit filling seemed very excessive. I used 1/4 cup sugar and 1/4 cup splenda and none were the wiser! I used 1/4 cup of water too, it kept it a nice gooey consistency with the thickening agent of the flour. I know that red delicious apples aren't recommended for baking, but I used 8 large apples (1/2 peeled, 1/2 unpeeled) and everyone just raved about it! People at the potluck choose this over carrot cake and pumpkin cake! The lemon juice is also a must. I recommend tossing the flour, cinnamon, lemon juice and 1/4 cup water in the apples and then aligning them down in the 9x13 baking dish. It worked out really well. The crumble topping was to die for, like an oatmeal cookie! Thank you for this recipe, it's a keeper!
- 2365.9 ml thinly sliced apples
- 236.59 ml sugar
- 14.79 ml flour
- 4.92 ml cinnamon
- 118.29 ml water (I may try omitting the water next time)
- 29.58 ml lemon juice (optional)
- 236.59 ml rolled oats
- 236.59 ml flour
- 236.59 ml brown sugar
- 1.23 ml baking powder
- 1.23 ml baking soda
- 118.29 ml melted butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel& slice your apples and place in bottom of 9x13 inch baking dish.
- Mix sugar, 1 tbsp.
- flour& cinnamon together and sprinkle over apples.
- Pour water evenly over all.
- (and lemon juice if using) Combine the toppping ingredients until crumbly and spread all over apples.
- Bake at 350 for about 45 mins.
- I serve topped with vanilla ice cream!