Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
I came up with this recipe when I was unable to find exactly what I was looking for in my cookbooks. I hope you enjoy it as much as we did!
- 1 small zucchini (chopped finely)
- 1⁄2 of a yellow onion (chopped finely)
- 1⁄2 of a red bell pepper (chopped finely)
- 3 garlic cloves (chopped finely)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 dashes pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- cooking spray
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce with basil garlic and oregano (divided)
- Spray a skillet with cooking spray.
- Add the first nine ingredients and saute for 10 minutes on medium heat. Allow to cool to room temperature (put in the frig to speed things up).
- In a large bowl mix ground beef, egg, salt, pepper, 1/2 of the tomato sauce, and the vegetable mixture.
- Pat into 7 small meatloaves and place on foil lined baking sheet that has been sprayed with cooking spray.
- Top each loaf with the remaining tomato sauce.
- Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.
LOVED this recipe! I doubled the recipe and made 7 loaves which was perfect. Used half beef half turkey to make it even healthier. I also sweated the zucchini as others suggested and the meatloaf was perfectly moist, not too soupy at all. I added 1 tsp worcestershire sauce to add a bit of zing (my mom always used it, so I figured why not). After making it twice I found that the best way to get a nice crust was to bake it for 30 min, then broil for 5 min, then put the sauce on and broil for another couple min. So good!
This was a great, no bread, meatloaf. Mine was not to soupy as others stated and the flavor and texture were great. One thing I did differently was in regard to forming the loaf. The recipe said to make this into 7 small loaves. I think each would have been very tiny loaves. I divided this in half and made two loaves, and baked at 350 for about 40 minutes.
Great Recipe. Suggestion for people who say that this meatloaf is to moist is becasue zucchini containts alot of water. You should shread the zucchini with a cheese grater into a bowl and salt alittle to release the liquid (just like you do with eggplant), and then take and squeeze the shreeded zucchini into the sink and then start your Awesome and Healthy Meatloaf! Enjoy!