Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
awaze sauce consists of berbere, vegetable oil, and red wine. recipe courtesy http://bit.ly/WDHi0X.
- 1 lb round steak
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 5 tablespoons Smart Balance light butter spread
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1⁄2 cup onion
- 1⁄2 cup green bell pepper
- 1⁄2 cup sweet red pepper
- 2 garlic cloves
- Prep beef by washing and cutting up into bite size cubes. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a large skillet.
- Add garlic and onion and cook on medium heat until onion appears clear.
- Add green and red peppers.
- Stir in first tbsp berbere spice.
- Cook until vegetables are all soft.
- Add meat and tbsp of butter.
- Stir in second tbsp of spice.
- Continue to cook on medium heat, stirring often. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve over prepared couscous or with injera.
All 5 members of my American family loved this! Even my southern husband (who worried when he saw the recipe was Ethiopian) loved it. Instead of curry powder, I googled and found a recipe to create my own Berbera spice blend. I also used left over roast beef, and just reduced the cooking time since the meat was already cooked. This recipe is going into my permanent file :)