This is a family tradition when the zucchinis are ready. This soup has won first prize in our local county fair. It's not to strongly zucchini flavored, and has a fabulous italian flavor. I have NEVER found anyone who dislikes this soup, try it you'll see!!
- 1 1⁄2-2 lbs sweet Italian sausage
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 (14 ounce) cans beef broth
- 1 -2 onion, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 2 -3 thin sliced unpeeled zucchini (you'll have to eyeball this one, because zucchini come in so many sizes!)
- 2 fresh minced garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon chopped dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon dry basil
- 1 teaspoon dry oregano
- 1 -2 cup water
- Fry sausage in a soup pan, drain
- Add all other ingerdients except water.
- Add water in a cup at a time, I add 2 cups, then if after cooking the soup looks a bit thick, I add more.
- Reduce heat and allow the soup to simmer 2-3 hours, or until the zucchini is tender and transparent.
- Serve with a yummy crusty Italian bread, or garlic bread!