Prep 40 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
This favourite of my dad's won me an award from the Ontario Greenbelt Fresh Association, and for good reason! Apples, pears, carrots and raisins team up with the unlikely candidate of green tomatoes for a deliciously tangy-sweet mincemeat. This is a vegan recipe, perfect for pie or tart fillings at Christmas and it freezes well, too!
- 650 g green tomatoes, chopped
- 1 kg granny smith apple, half-peeled and diced
- 250 g thompson seedless grapes
- 100 g shredded carrots
- 165 g chopped dried pears
- 1⁄2 cup candied orange peel
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves (omit if freezing, stir in once thawed)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups dark brown sugar, firmly packed
- 2 tablespoons blackstrap molasses
- 1⁄3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1⁄3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup water
- Combine all ingredients in a large stockpot.
- Bring to a simmer, reduce heat to low and cook, partially covered, 1 hour and 15 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Can according to water bath canner instructions.
- Alternatively, freeze: pack cold mincemeat into freezer jars or containers, leaving about an inch headspace for expansion. Seal and freeze promptly.