I saw this on Food Network's The Best Thing I Ever Ate. Michael Simon was raving over it. It sounded so interesting I had to make it and just happened to have everything on hand(okay, I was out of cilantro, but didn't let that stop me). I didn't have the six pepper blend, but did have black, white and pink peppers, so used that in the pepper mill. This is very different from the traditional guacamole. The name of the episode, was the totally unexpected, after all. Adapted from Web Gangsta who recreated the recipe from Lopez Southwestern Kitchen in Cleveland, Ohio. http://thewebgangsta.com/index.php/2010/05/award-winning-recipe-for-cinco-de-mayo-guacamole-with-blue-cheese-and-bacon-inspired-by-food-network/
My Private Note
cups, a ...
Units: US | Metric
- 3 avocados
- 2 slices vegetarian bacon, crumbled (I use Bacon with a Vegan)
- 1/4 cup blue cheese, crumbled, room temperature (or gorgonzola cheese)
- 1/4 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 roma tomato, seeded, finely chopped
- 1/2 jalapeno pepper, finely chopped
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon cumin powder (to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 fresh lime, juiced
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- Tabasco sauce, garlic flavor (to taste)
- chipolte chili powder, to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon dried sage (or 1 tsp. fresh chopped sage)
- pepper, blend to taste (recommended-Durkee 6 Pepper Blend)
- 1Combine onion, tomato, jalapeno, cilantro,cumin powder, kosher salt and garlic in a bowl. Mix well, cover, and sit in refrigerator for at least 60 minutes.
- 2Chop 1 avocado into small chunks. Add to bowl with other ingredients.
- 3Mush remaining 2 avocados and add to bowl. Fold into mixture.
- 4Add blue cheese and bacon crumbles. Fold again, try not to stir the guacamole up too much, as you want to maintain the firmness of the avocados as much as possible.
- 5Add Tabasco, chipolte powder, sage and Six Pepper Blend to taste. Fold in as necessary.
- 6Squeeze 1/2 lime over mixture. Fold in again.
- 7Serve with chips and enjoy!
Browse Our Top Avocado Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Award Winning Cinco De Mayo Guacamole With Blue Cheese and Sage
Serving Size: 1 (794 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 578.4
- Calories from Fat 456
- Total Fat 50.7 g
- Saturated Fat 9.8 g
- Cholesterol 12.6 mg
- Sodium 551.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 31.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 21.6 g
- Sugars 3.9 g
- Protein 10.9 g