Recipe by FLUFFSTER
This is an award winning recipe that I have been making for many years.It won top award for a guy named Eddie, that's all I know. We gratefully thank him for a wonderful recipe! The twist is that you can either use cubed meat, or ground meat, the amounts are inter-changeable. They are both delicious, and I encourage you to try both methods! You may as well double or even triple this rrecipe, 'cause you're going to be making this all of the time. It freezes wonderfully! Don't let the ingredients confuse you. The only difference between the 2 recipes are simple----one is ground meats ,the second one is cubed meat. If using the second (ground meats) drain the meat and then just toss the cube of butter in the pan with the drained meat.
Top Review by kittycatmom
Di this recipe is so delicious! DH hinted that chili would be good today! When I looked out the window and saw the snow coming down I had to agree! This is similar to my own chili recipe except for a couple of things -- the beer and the cumin. I was happy to add both and try something new! Wow! This is awesome! Oh, and I made this in my slow-cooker on low for 4 hours so the flavors really blended together beautifully! Thank you dear friend! I will make this often I'm sure!
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans or 1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans or 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, can use up to 3 cans
- 1 large green bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes, with puree (I use Progresso)
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon cumin (to taste)
- 1⁄3 cup good quality chili powder, I use Gebhardt's
- 0.25 (24 ounce) jarortega thick & chunky salsa
- 0.25 (12 ounce) can beer
- 3⁄4 lb cubed sirloin (or same amount of ground beef)
- 1⁄4 lb cubed pork butt (or same amount ground pork)
- 1⁄2 cup butter (1 cube)
Directions See How It's Made
- Sauté meats in butter until well done.* Add to bean mixture. Cover and simmer for about 1/12 hours. Add 1/4 can beer. Heat through. Serve with hot flour or corn tortillas, and the rest of that cold beer! Top with chopped onions and grated cheese for an excellent meal!
- *If using the ground meats, brown together, drain and then add 1 cube of butter.Proceed with rest of recipe.
- I grew up on "hamburger" chili, and when I first got the recipe I made it according to directions. It was awesome. Then I exchanged the cubed meats for the ground ones. They both are wonderfully delicious, but now you can have a choice! This doubles and triples very well.Also freezes great.