Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Every year in my area there is a city wide chili cookoff. My group has won 3 years in a row. This is my recipe (although I have scaled it down, we usually buy 30 lbs hamburger). It is hearty and easy, even my kids will eat it. I add fresh mushrooms to mine at home and add a bit more spice. If you can don't skimp on the ground sirloin, it is so much better than the cheaper stuff.
- 1 lb ground sirloin
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 cup red onion, chopped
- 1 (14 ounce) can red kidney beans, drained
- 1 (14 ounce) can chili beans
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 1 (16 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 -3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- salt and pepper
- Brown hamburger, onion, green pepper and garlic, then drain(there isn't usually much to drain with the ground sirloin).
- In large pot, dump in meat mixture.
- Add both beans, water, tomatoes and tomato sauce.
- Add spices and stir.
- Add brown sugar and stir.
- Cook for 20-30 minutes.
- Serve with cheddar cheese, sour cream, crackers.
I like this recipe as I love chili! I added cuisinart chopped carrots for more veggies and prefer it with added beef broth and low on the tomato sauce. I add at the end a favorite fresh salsa that includes the chopped tomatoes. the second day it gets better! Chopped fresh cilantro makes a finely tuned finish! Serve with guests able to add chili flacks for more spiceyness!
I made this chili in the crock pot and it was delicious. I added a beef bullion cube and extra water. I will definitely make this again!
This really is freaking delicious! I made it for a work chili cook-off. It didn't win but got some compliments and I personally ate all the leftovers the same day! My parents liked it better than the chili they have been making for years. Its was super easy as well and I'm a lazy 25 year old who doesn't usually cook so I would recommend it!!