Every year in my area there is a city wide chili cookoff. My group has won 3 years in a row. This is my recipe (although I have scaled it down, we usually buy 30 lbs hamburger). It is hearty and easy, even my kids will eat it. I add fresh mushrooms to mine at home and add a bit more spice. If you can don't skimp on the ground sirloin, it is so much better than the cheaper stuff.
- 1 lb ground sirloin
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 cup red onion, chopped
- 1 (14 ounce) can red kidney beans, drained
- 1 (14 ounce) can chili beans
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 1 (16 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 -3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- salt and pepper
- Brown hamburger, onion, green pepper and garlic, then drain(there isn't usually much to drain with the ground sirloin).
- In large pot, dump in meat mixture.
- Add both beans, water, tomatoes and tomato sauce.
- Add spices and stir.
- Add brown sugar and stir.
- Cook for 20-30 minutes.
- Serve with cheddar cheese, sour cream, crackers.