Recipe by KelBel
My husband and I created this recipe together. He won a chili cook-off with this recipe at work. We always use venison, but you can use ground beef or turkey.
Top Review by Disc Golfer
This recipe was award winning for me too. I took it to the ice bowl, which is an annual fund raiser put on by our disc golf club. (www.kcfdc.org) There were 28 entries and I took first place. It was the first time I ever attempted to make chili and it was the best chili I ever tasted too. I only added 2 onions to 1 Â½ lbs of venison and 1 lb sausage then followed the recipe as is. I have won this event in the past playing disc golf, but winning the chili competition was much more fulfilling. The first place prize of $125 portable basket was really nice too. Thank You! ï�Š
- 1 lb ground venison or 1 lb ground beef or 1 lb ground turkey
- 2 onions, diced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1 tablespoon jalapeno, finely chopped
- 1 (14 ounce) can Mexican-style tomatoes (like Rotel)
- 2 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons cumin
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika (smoked if you can find it)
- 1 (14 ounce) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (14 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup water
- sour cream
- cheddar cheese
- green onion
- Cook ground meat with onions and peppers in dutch oven.
- Drain excess grease and add tomatoes, seasonings, and water, bring to a boil.
- Add beans, cover and simmer 1-2 hours.
- Serve with toppings.