My husband and I created this recipe together. He won a chili cook-off with this recipe at work. We always use venison, but you can use ground beef or turkey.
- 1 lb ground venison or 1 lb ground beef or 1 lb ground turkey
- 2 onions, diced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1 tablespoon jalapeno, finely chopped
- 1 (14 ounce) can Mexican-style tomatoes (like Rotel)
- 2 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons cumin
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika (smoked if you can find it)
- 1 (14 ounce) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (14 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup water
- sour cream
- cheddar cheese
- green onion
- Cook ground meat with onions and peppers in dutch oven.
- Drain excess grease and add tomatoes, seasonings, and water, bring to a boil.
- Add beans, cover and simmer 1-2 hours.
- Serve with toppings.