1 hr 30 mins
This recipe was made by Janet Joel from Cabbagetown, Toronto. It's a little time consuming, but the judges chose it as a winner in the Cabbagetown festival.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Cut the core out of the cabbage. Remove 12 large leaves. Steam the leaves until they are soft enough to roll. Trim off the heavy, centre ribs from the leaves.
- 2Mix the meat, rice, grated onion, egg, salt and pepper. Place 1 tablespoon of the mixture at the end of each cabbage leaf. Roll the leaves up, tucking in the sides.
- 3Place the cabbage rolls in a pot. Cover them with water. Add the other onion, bay leaf, lemon juice, brown sugar and tomato paste to the pot. Cover the pot and cook slowly for 1 hour. Stir gently.
- 4Add the raisins and gingersnaps. Simmer for 15 minutes more.
- 5Take the cabbage rolls out of the pot. Put them side by side in a baking pan. Pour the souse over them. Bake at 375°F for 30 minutes.
- 6When the sauce is thick and the cabbage rolls are brown, they are ready. Happy eating!
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Award-Winning Cabbage Rolls
Serving Size: 1 (614 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 578.8
- Calories from Fat 181
- Total Fat 20.2 g
- Saturated Fat 7.4 g
- Cholesterol 129.9 mg
- Sodium 328.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 72.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.9 g
- Sugars 32.4 g
- Protein 29.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: