TOPCAT TONY's Note:
The unique blend of flavors and texture achieved by using a few ingredients, not commonly used in chili, make the difference. You will taste the results from using quality cuts of beef, bacon grease, chicken broth and pinto beans.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 lbs beef brisket, cut in 1/4 inch cubes
- 2 lbs flank steaks, coarsely ground
- 1 cup bacon grease
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 6 cups yellow onions, chopped
- 1 large green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 large red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 large yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 4 jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced (wear rubber gloves)
- 4 (4 ounce) cans chopped mild green chilies
- 5 tablespoons minced fresh garlic
- 9 tablespoons mild chili powder
- 4 teaspoons ground cumin
- 3 bay leaves
- 3 tablespoons sweet paprika
- 10 cups chicken broth (bouillon cubes )
- 3 teaspoons ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can refried beans
- 1 (3 lb) can pinto beans
- 1In a heavy skillet over medium heat, brown the meat in small batches using 1 to 2 TBS bacon grease. Drain the meat and transfer to a large soup pot( I use a 12qt copper bottom).
- 2Saute the celery, onions and bell peppers in the remaining grease for 1-2 minutes, then transfer to the pot.
- 3To the pot, add the minced jalapeno, 4 cans of chilies, 3 TBS garlic, 6 TBS chili powder, 2 tsp cumin, 3 bay leaves, 2 TBS paprika and enough chicken broth to barely cover. Heat to simmer and cook slowly for 1 1/2 to 2 hours, stirring frequently. Add more broth as needed.
- 4Add the remaining 2 TBS garlic, 3 TBS chili powder, 2 tsp cumin, 1 TBS paprika, 3 tsp coriander, 2 tsp cayenne pepper, 1 tsp white pepper, 1 can tomato paste and the pinto beans. Add enough broth to cover.
- 5Simmer for 30 minutes. Remove the bay leaves. Add the refried beans and simmer until they "dissolve" and the chili thickens.
Nutritional Facts for Award Winning
Serving Size: 1 (638 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 15
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 481.7
- Calories from Fat 197
- Total Fat 21.9 g
- Saturated Fat 8.1 g
- Cholesterol 54.2 mg
- Sodium 1207.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 45.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 14.7 g
- Sugars 7.5 g
- Protein 28.8 g