Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
From West Africa. Adapted from Time/Life Foods of the World. Note: This recipe does use both the whites and the yolks of the eggs, but I've followed recipe convention in listing them separately in the order they are used. Although the original recipe doesn't mention peeling the avocados, you may.
- 4 hardboiled egg yolks, sieved
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lime juice, strained, divided
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 lb smoked whitefish, skin and bones removed
- 4 hardboiled egg whites, finely chopped
- 2 large ripe avocados
- 12 slices red bell peppers or 12 slices pimiento, for garnish
- Place egg yolks and milk in a deep bowl and mash with a fork until they form a smooth paste.
- Add 1 tablespoon lime juice, the sugar and the salt.
- Beat in the vegetable oil, a teaspoon at a time, making sure each addition is incorporated before adding more.
- Beat in olive oil a teaspoon at a time.
- Stir in remaining lime juice.
- Place fish in a bowl and flake finely with a fork.
- Add egg yolk mixture and egg whites, tossing gently but thoroughly.
- Just before serving, halve and seed avocados.
- Spoon fish mixture into avocado halves.
- Place 3 strips of pepper diagonally across the top of each avocado and serve.