Prep 20 mins
Cook 6 mins
I LOVE avocados, especially the black Haas avocados. They're creamy and have such a "buttery" taste, and yet are cholesterol-free. This recipe makes a really delicious sandwich. When I make it for the kids, I eliminate the cumin, but add it when I'm making a sandwich for myself -- I like cumin's very mild spicy flavor that has a hint of caraway in it.
- 1 ripe avocado, halved, seeded and peeled
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon finely minced parsley
- 8 slices bread (I use whole grain)
- 6 ounces monterey jack cheese, sliced
- 1 large tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- In a small bowl, mash together avocado, lemon juice, cumin and salt until smooth. Stir in parsley and set aside.
- Top four of the bread slices with cheese; spread with avocado mixture and top with tomato slices. Add the four remaining bread slices on top. Using 1 tablespoon of the softened butter, spread some on the top of each sandwich.
- Heat a large nonstick griddle or 12-inch skillet, over medium-high heat. Add sandwiches, buttered sides down. Carefully spread the remaining softened butter over the top of each sandwich.
- Cook 4-6 minutes or until toasted, turning once.
Of course I loved this! What's not to love? :)
Delicious sandwich! I used cheddar cheese and loved the creaminess the avocado added, the zing the lemon added and the sweetness the tomato added. I think I would just skip the cumin next time. Thanks for sharing the recipe.
Delicious sandwich! I love grilled cheese sandwich but the avocado - tomato combo really gilded the lily. I made a few subs, cilantro instead of parsley, lime instead of lemon, I added whole cumin seeds and a little chopped jalapeno. Lovely combination of textures and flavors. Thanks for posting, I will make this often! made and reviewed for the Spain/Portugal Forum, July 2012