Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
From the CIA comes this tasty colorful salad that's packed with not only flavor but "healthiness".
- 4 fresh ears of corn, shucked
- 1 small frisee, cored
- 8 ounces mixed baby greens
- 4 beefsteak tomatoes, cut into 1/4-inch, thick slices (preferably 2 red and 2 yellow tomatoes)
- 2 lbs red and yellow cherry tomatoes or 2 lbs red pear tomatoes, cut in half lenghthwise
- 2 red onions, cut into 1/8-inch-thick lengthwise slices
- 8 ounces aged cheddar cheese, crumbled into bite-sized pieces
- 1⁄4 cup sherry wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 2 canned chipotle peppers, drained and minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 1 cup olive oil, plus
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- In a large pot of salted boiling water, cook the corn until tender, about 10 minutes. Drain, rinse under cold water, and let drain again. Cut the kernels from the cob, but don't go too deeply into the cob. Use the back of a knife or a spoon to scrape the corn and milk from the cobs. Set aside.
- Toss the fresee and baby greens with all but 2 tablespoons of the vinaigrette. Arrange the greens on a chilled platter or individual salad plates. Place the sliced tomatoes on the greens. Cut each avocado half into a thinly sliced fan and place on top of the tomatoes. Scatter the small tomatoes, corn, red onions, and Cheddar cheese over the salad. Drizzle the remaining vinaigrette over the salad(s), and serve at once.
- CHIPOTLE - SHERRY VINAIGRETTE:.
- In a medium bowl, combine all of the ingredients except the olive oil. Gradually whisk in the olive oil until the dressing is lightly thickened. Taste and adjust the seasoning.