An easy vegetarian sushi dish without all of the fuss. From Readers Digest Living. Works great as an appetizer or side dish and it's amazingly easy. I like to use the rice molds that they sell at Japanese markets for serving this salad. Soft lettuce works well if you wish to replace the spinach.
- In a medium saucepan, bring 2 cups of water to a boil.
- Add the rice and salt, cover and simmer for 17 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, bring the vinegar, soy sauce, lime juice and sugar to a boil.
- Remove from the heat.
- Stir into the cooked rice.
- Transfer the seasoned rice to a bowl and let cool to room temperature.
- Stir the carrot and avocados into the rice.
- Dividing evenly, spoon the mixture into four 8-ounce ramekins or bowls and gently but firmly press down.
- Arrange the spinach on serving plates and invert the molded rice salads onto the spinach.