Recipe by WiGal
Good friends introduced us to Avocado Surprise in Puerto Penasco so this is my take on it. I used Appetizing Shrimp Scampi to cook the shrimp. Could be an appetizer or summer luncheon dish. Preparation includes 1 hour to chill. You could also make the shrimp salad aspect earlier in day as I have done. After looking at Sarah_Jayne's review, I agree that the salad aspect is slippery so have changed the directions a bit so it "works" better.
Top Review by Sarah_Jayne
I really enjoyed the combination of the creamy shrimp with the naturally creamy texture of the avocado. Since avacado has such a high (healthy) fat content, I went with fat free mayo for the mixture and that worked very well. Once everything was piled up, it did become a bit fiddly to eat. I ended up scooping everything out of the avocado and mixing it together on the plate and eating it as a tasty salad. Made for Newest Zaar tag.
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons parsley, chopped
- 1⁄8 teaspoon dill weed
- 1⁄16 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 1⁄16 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 ounces shrimp, cooked and chopped into 1/4 inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon green olives, sliced (optional)
- 2 tablespoons celery, minced
- 1 teaspoon green onion, optional and minced
- 2 avocados
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- bibb lettuce
Directions See How It's Made
- Using a medium sized bowl, mix mayonnaise, rice vinegar, parsley, dill weed, salt, onion powder, and pepper until smooth.
- Mix in the shrimp, olives, celery, and onion.
- Allow salad to marinate at least 1 hour.
- Shortly before serving, cut avocados in half lengthwise and carefully remove the pits leaving the skins intact.
- Cut a small sliver of avocado off each half so that it will lie flatter on serving plate.
- Carefully remove several tablespoons of pulp, cut into bite size pieces, and RESERVE 4 tablespoons of pulp for garnish.
- Mix majority of pulp with shrimp mixture.
- Lay one piece of Bibb lettuce on each serving plate, add avocado shell, and spoon shrimp mixture into the avocado halves.
- Sprinkle paprika on.
- Garnish by dividing RESERVED pulp between portions.