Prep 1 hr 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
Good friends introduced us to Avocado Surprise in Puerto Penasco so this is my take on it. I used Appetizing Shrimp Scampi to cook the shrimp. Could be an appetizer or summer luncheon dish. Preparation includes 1 hour to chill. You could also make the shrimp salad aspect earlier in day as I have done. After looking at Sarah_Jayne's review, I agree that the salad aspect is slippery so have changed the directions a bit so it "works" better.
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons parsley, chopped
- 1⁄8 teaspoon dill weed
- 1⁄16 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 1⁄16 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 ounces shrimp, cooked and chopped into 1/4 inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon green olives, sliced (optional)
- 2 tablespoons celery, minced
- 1 teaspoon green onion, optional and minced
- 2 avocados
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- bibb lettuce
- Using a medium sized bowl, mix mayonnaise, rice vinegar, parsley, dill weed, salt, onion powder, and pepper until smooth.
- Mix in the shrimp, olives, celery, and onion.
- Allow salad to marinate at least 1 hour.
- Shortly before serving, cut avocados in half lengthwise and carefully remove the pits leaving the skins intact.
- Cut a small sliver of avocado off each half so that it will lie flatter on serving plate.
- Carefully remove several tablespoons of pulp, cut into bite size pieces, and RESERVE 4 tablespoons of pulp for garnish.
- Mix majority of pulp with shrimp mixture.
- Lay one piece of Bibb lettuce on each serving plate, add avocado shell, and spoon shrimp mixture into the avocado halves.
- Sprinkle paprika on.
- Garnish by dividing RESERVED pulp between portions.
I really enjoyed the combination of the creamy shrimp with the naturally creamy texture of the avocado. Since avacado has such a high (healthy) fat content, I went with fat free mayo for the mixture and that worked very well. Once everything was piled up, it did become a bit fiddly to eat. I ended up scooping everything out of the avocado and mixing it together on the plate and eating it as a tasty salad. Made for Newest Zaar tag.
I made this minus the dill and subbing white wine vinegar. I couldn't have been happier with the result. The shrimp filling was made earlier in the day and refrigerated until I was ready to use it. I had this for dinner along with some Breton crackers and iced tea. Lots of wonderful rich flavors that were much enjoyed served well chilled on red leaf lettuce. Yum.
This was such a delicious lunch. I had sauteed my shrimp in a bit of butter and garlic. I had mixed everything together in the morning minus the avocado. Then for lunch I cut the avocado into it's pieces and mixed with the rest. Had too much to stuff back in each avocado so just put on the plate to eat up. Had it with some romaine lettuce. The flavor was really yummy and creamy. I liked having the olives and green onions in there too it added a nice flavor. Will definitely be making this again. Thanks for sharing a great recipe WiGal