Prep 4 hrs
Cook 0 mins
I made this recently when our supper club decided to brunch instead of supper; everyone loved it. The recipe comes from a cookbook from one of the oldest and most loved New Orleans fine dining restaurants (Galatoire's); it would be perfect for any brunch or luncheon. It calls for iceberg lettuce, which I usually hate, but they insist on using it b/c the dressing works better, so I did. Also, use very good crabmeat. I am not including the dressing recipe in the ingredients/directions b/c it makes more than you need for this salad, but I am writing it out here b/c it is simple and necessary (and you will want to drizzle it on the finished salad): Creole Mustard Vinaigrette 1/3 c red wine vinegar, 1/2 c creole mustard, 2/3 c vegetable oil, salt and pepper to taste, whisk together in small bowl.
- 2 large egg yolks
- 29.58 ml red wine vinegar
- 14.79 ml creole mustard (or 1 tablespoon any coarse grainy brown mustard)
- 4.92 ml lemon juice, fresh
- 236.59 ml vegetable oil
- 59.14 ml nonpareil capers, drained
- 1 bunch green onion, chopped
- 14.79 ml parsley, curly, fresh, chopped
- white pepper
- 453.59 g lump crabmeat
- 4 avocados, ripe and soft
- creole mustard vinaigrette (see above)
- 1 head iceberg lettuce, cut into large ribbons
- 2 large tomatoes, fresh and cut into wedges
- Crabmeat Maison:.
- Combine egg yolks, vinegar, mustard, and lemon juice in mixing bowl, and whisk together (until well combined); whisk in oil slowly until emulsified (this might work better in food processor, but I did by hand).
- Fold in capers, parsley, and onions, and season with salt and pepper. Chill for 2 to 4 hours.
- Shortly before serving, gently fold in crabmeat, taking care not to break any of the lumps; set aside.
- Stuffed Avocado Salad:.
- Slice the avocados lengthwise, and remove the pits. Peel and set the 8 halves aside.
- Create a bed of lettuce on 8 chilled plates. Nest the avocado halves in the center of the lettuce covered plates.
- Evenly divide the Crabmeat Maison into the cavities of the avocados, forming little mounds.
- Add a wedge of the tomato to each plate, and drizzle with the Creole Mustard Vinaigrette.
- Serve immediately.