Prep 15 mins
Cook 3 mins
I found this recipe several years ago in our local newspaper. This is a different kind of deviled egg. The creamy avocado replaces the mayo. I have subbed lime juice for the lemon. The flavor is best when only slightly chilled or at room temp.
- 1 dozen egg
- 2 medium ripe california avocados
- 2 tablespoons onions, minced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt (or less)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 6 black olives, diced
- Boil the eggs for three minutes.
- Peel and slice each egg in half lengthways.
- Remove egg yolks and place the egg white halves on a serving platter.
- Mash avocados and egg yolks together.
- Fold in minced onions, lemon juice and salt.
- Spoon mixture into the egg whites.
- Garnish with a sprinkle of paprika and diced olives.
Do NOT use 3 minute cooked eggs, hardboil as usual. Seriously!
I love avocados and this was so good. I did agree with other reviewers about the bland flavor so I added some diced green chilies, diced fresh tomato and used the green olives. My oh my, this was good! I also sprinkled a tiny bit of grated pepper jack cheese on top as a garnish. YUM. I served these at our Family St. Patrick Day Brunch. They all loved them! Thanks for sharing this recipe!
Very tasty! Even my husband, who doesn't like eggs much, loved these. I used dried minced onions, which gave the filling a nice crunch. I also added a little hot sauce, a little garlic, and a little ranch dressing for a creamy zing.