Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
Smoked sun-dried tomatoes give this sandwich a meaty taste and texture. From Vegetarian Times.
- 2 avocados, halved and thinly sliced
- 1⁄3 cup sun-dried tomato, smoked, julienned (1 oz.)
- 2 tablespoons red onions, diced
- 2 cups Baby Spinach, lightly packed
- 16 ounces ciabatta rolls, split in half
- Layer avocado slices, tomatoes onion, and 1/2 cup spinach on each roll. Spray panini with cooking spray.
- Coat skillet or grill pan with cooking spray, and heat over medium heat. Place panini in pan; weight with smaller diameter saucepan weighted with 1 or 2 cans. Cook 2 minutes, remove weight. Flip panini, replace weight, and cook 1 1/2 to 2 minutes more. (or cook 4 minutes in panini maker).
Oh my, so good!! I was wondering whether I would miss my mozzarella cheese, but I didn't - the avocado is lovely and soft and tasty and more than makes up for the cheese too. I'd recommend chopping the onion quite finely; I came across a few lazily chopped chunks (yes, the lazy chopper was me) in my second roll and it threw the flavour balance off a bit. I used the weighted saucepan trick and it worked like a charm! Thank you for a lovely recipe!