Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
From the New York Times
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 quart milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 grated orange, rind of
- 2 avocados
- 1⁄4 cup heavy cream, whipped
- 1 -2 teaspoon minced preserved gingerroot (optional)
- Melt the butter in the top of a double boiler over hot, hot water.
- Add the flour and blend with a wire whisk.
- Meanwhile, bring the milk to a boil and add all at once to the butter-flour mixture, stirring vigorously with the whisk.
- Add the salt, ginger and orange rind and cook, stirring, until the mixture has thickened.
- Mash or sieve one avocado and add to the sauce. Stir in thoroughly. Chill.
- Serve the chilled soup in chilled soup bowls or cups.
- Garnish with the remaining avocado, cubed, whipped cream and a sprinkling of preserved ginger.
- NOTE: this soup may also be heated before serving.