Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
From Dr. Atkins Quick & East New Diet Cookbook. For phases 1-4. Per Serving: carbs 8.5, net carbs 4, fiber 4.5, protein 5, fat 36.5, calories 363
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 scallions, finely chopped (white part only)
- 3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 Hass avocadoes, peeled, pitted, and drizzled with lemon juice
- 2⁄3 cup heavy cream
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat butter in skillet over med heat until foam subsides. Add scallions and cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 min or until translucent.
- Add 2-1/2 cups chicken broth, bring to a boil, then lower heat and simmer for 3 minute.
- In a food processor, blend the avocados, cream, and remaining 1/2 cup broth until smooth.
- Add the avocado minture to the skillet and cook over med heat, stirring occasionally, for 2 min, or until heated through. Season with salt and pepper and serve.
I chose this recipe because I am committed to low carb and it's hard to find soup recipes. I love avocados, so this fit the bill. I liked that the recipe was well written and easy to follow, as well as the fact that it's a simple thing to put together. I used my own home-made chicken broth. I thought the finished product was good but not super. I felt it was missing something. I think I would use additional scallions and maybe a little garlic next time. Thanks for the recipe, Mariposa.